Prof. Min-Feng Yu (
School of Aerospace Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
270 Ferst Drive, NW
Tel: 404.894.8166; Fax: 404.894.2760
Ph. D. Physics, Washington University in St. Louis, 2000.
M.S. Physics, Fudan University, 1997.
Academic and Public Positions:
Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology, July 2012-Present
Adjunct Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, July 2012-Present
Guest Professor, Chinese Academy of Sciences, NIMTE, June 2011-Present
Associate Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Aug. 2008-Jun. 2012
Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, 2007-2009
Editorial Board, Journal of Nanoengineering and Nanosystems, 2008-present
Editorial Board, Nano Communications, 2011-Present
Awards & Honors:
K.C. Wong Foundation Research Fellowship, 2012
Xerox Award for Faculty Research, UIUC, 2008
List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent, UIUC, ME310, Fall-2007
Grainger Emerging Technology Award, UIUC, 2007
TRECC Accelerator Award, UIUC, 2007
Veridian Medal for Technical Paper, 1999
Ranked as One of Five Major Advances in Nanotechnology at the Seventh Foresight International Conference, 1999
APS, AAAS, MRS, ASME, IEEE
1. R. S. Ruoff and M. -F. Yu, Nanomanipulation and Characterization of Individual Nanotubes, in Recent Advances in Experimental Mechanics, in honor of Prof. I. M. Daniel, E. E. Gdoutos and I. M. Daniel, Eds. (Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002), pp. 65-74.
2. Rodney. S. Ruoff and Min-Feng Yu, Nanoscale mechanical characterization of carbon nanotube, (for "Micro- and Nano-Scale Diagnostic Techniques", by Springer-Verlag).
4. R. S. Ruoff and M. -F. Yu, Nanomanipulation and Characterization of Individual Nanotubes, in Recent Advances in Experimental Mechanics, in honor of Prof. I. M. Daniel, E. E. Gdoutos and I. M. Daniel, Eds. (Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002), pp. 65-74.
B. Liu, Y. Huang, H. Jiang, S. Qu,
and M.-F. Yu, Finite Element Method: from
Discrete Atoms to Continuum Solids, in Handbook of Theoretical and
Computational Nanotechnology (eds. M. Rieth and
6. M. Minary and M.-F. Yu, Mechanical and Electromechanical Characterization of One-Dimensional Piezoelectric Nanomaterials, in Piezoelectric Nanomaterials for Biomedical Applications, Springer, 2012.
1. Martin Bettge, Scott MacLaren, Steve Burdin, Daniel Abraham, Ivan Petrov, Min-Feng Yu, and Ernie Sammann, How surface and line energetics affect vapor-liquid-solid growth, submitted (2013).
2. Bongwon Jeong, Hanna Cho, Min-Feng Yu, Alexander F. Vakakis, D. Michael McFarland, Lawrence A. Bergman, Enabling the Study of Nonlinear Damping in an Engineered Mechanical Microresonator Incorporating Significant Geometric Nonlinearity, submitted, 2013
3. Hanna Cho, Jonathan Felts, Min-Feng Yu, Lawrence Bergman, Alex Vakakis, and William King, Nanotechnolgy, Improved atomic force microscope infrared spectroscopy for rapid nanometer-scale chemical identification, accepted, 2013
4. Jonathan Felts, Hanna Cho, Min-Feng Yu, Lawrence Bergman, Alex Vakakis, and William King, Rev. Sci. Instrument, Atomic Force Microscope Infrared Spectroscopy on 15 Nanometer Scale Polymer Nanostructures, accepted, 2013
5. Hanna Cho; Bongwon Jeong; Min-Feng Yu; Alexander F Vakakis; D. Michael McFarland ; Lawrence A Bergman, Surface Science “Dynamics of microcantilever integrated with geometric nonlinearity for stable and broadband nonlinear atomic force microscopy,” 17-18, L74-78 (2012).
6. Majid Minary-Jolandan, Arash Tajik, Ning Wang and Min-Feng Yu, Nanotechnology Intrinsically high-Q dynamic AFM imaging in liquid with a significantly extended needle tip, 23, 235704 (2012).
7. Hanna Cho; Bongwon Jeong; Min-Feng Yu; Alexander F Vakakis; D. Michael McFarland ; Lawrence A Bergman, International Journal of Solids and Structures Nonlinear hardening and softening resonances in micromechanical cantilever-nanotube systems originated from nanoscale geometric nonlinearities, 49, 2059-65 (2012).
8. Martin Bettge, Scott MacLaren, Steve Burdin, Richard T. Haasch, Daniel Abraham, Ivan Petrov, Min-Feng Yu, and Ernie Sammann, Nanotechnology Ion-induced surface relaxation: controlled bending and alignment of nanowire arrays, 23, 175302(2012).
9. Martin Bettge, Seung Yoon Ryu, Scott MacLaren, Steve Burdin, Ivan Petrov, Min-Feng Yu, Ernie Sammann, Daniel P. Abraham, J. Power Sources Hierarchically textured LixMn2−yO4 thin films as positive electrodes for lithium-ion batteries, 206, 288-294(2012)
10. Jie Hu, Kyungsuk Yum, Arash Tajik, Majid Minary-Jolandan, Jaehooh Bang and Min-Feng Yu, Appl. Phys. Lett., Diffusion limited current in very high aspect ratio Pt needle electrodes, 26, 0531113(2011).
11. Martin Bettge, Scott MacLaren, Steve Burdin, Daniel Abraham, Ivan Petrov, Ernie Sammann, and Min-Feng Yu, Journal of Materials Research, Importance of line and interfacial energies during VLS growth of finely stranded silica nanowires, accepted (2011).
12. Zhong Zhou, Dong Qian and Min-Feng Yu, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, A computational Study on the Transversal Visco-elastic Properties of Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes and Their Relation to the Damping Mechanics, 8, 820-830 (2011).
13. Kyungsuk Yum, Min-Feng Yu, Ning Wang and Yang K. Xiang, Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, Bio-functionalized nanoneedles for the direct transfer and site-selective delivery of probes into living cells, 1810, 330-338(2011).
14. Majid Minary-Jolandan and Min-Feng Yu, Appl. Phys. Lett. , Shear Piezoelectricity in Bone at the Nanoscale, 97, 153127 (2010).
15. Zhong Zhou, Dong Qian and Min-Feng Yu, Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Energy dissipation and intrinsic loss in single walled carbon nanotubes due to anelastic relaxation, 11, 1267-1272(2010).
16. Kyungsuk Yum, Ning Wang and Min-Feng Yu, Small Electrochemically-controlled deconjugation and delivery of single quantum dots into the nucleus of living cells, 6, 2109-2113(2010).
17. Jie Hu and Min-Feng Yu, Science Meniscus confined three dimensional electrodeposition for direct-writing of wire bonds, 329, 313-316(2010).
18. Hanna Cho, Min-Feng Yu, and Alexander F. Vakakis, Lawrence A. Bergman, and D. Michael McFarland, Nano Letters, Tunable and Broadband Nonlinear Nanomechanical Resonator, 10, 1793-1798(2010).
19. Kyungsuk Yum, Ning Wang, and Min-Feng Yu, Nanoscale (invited feature article), Nanoneedle: a multifunctional tool for biological studies in living cells, 2, 363-372(2010).
20. Majid Minary-Jolandan and Min-Feng Yu, Biomacromolecules, Nanomechanical heterogeneity in the gap and overlap regions of type I collagen fibrils, 10, 2565-2570(2009).
Majid Minary-Jolandan and Min-Feng Yu,
22. Kyungsuk Yum, Sungsoo Na, Yang Xiang, Ning Wang and Min-Feng Yu, Nano Letters, Mechanochemical Delivery and Dynamic Tracking of Single Fluorescent Quantum Dots in the Cytoplasm and Nucleus of Living Cells, 9, 2193-2198(2009).
23. Majid Minary-Jolandan and Min-Feng Yu, Nanotechnology, Nanoscale Characterization of Isolated Individual Collagen Type I Fibrils: Polarization and Piezoelectricity, 20, 085706(2009).
24. Majid Minary-Jolandan and Min-Feng Yu, J. Appl. Phys. Experiment and model analysis of significant elastic radial deformation of carbon nanotubes in nanoindentation, 103, 073516 (2008).
25. Majid Minary-Jolandan and Min-Feng Yu, Ultramicroscopy, Optimized in situ measurement of offset phase shift in quantitative dynamic nanoindentation with AFM, 108, 821-825 (2008.
26. Hanqing Jiang, Junqiang Lu, Min-Feng Yu, Yonggang Huang, Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences (CMES), Carbon nanotube transmission between linear and rotational motions, 24, 95-102 (2008).
27. N. Shankar, Min-Feng Yu, S. P. Vanka and N. G. Glumac, Diamond and Related Materials, Growth of nanodiamond/carbon-nanotubes composites using hot filament chemical vapor deposition, 17, 79-83(2008).
28. Abhijit P. Suryavanshi, Jie Hu and Min-Feng Yu, Advanced Materials, Meniscus-controlled continuous fabrication of arrays and rolls of extremely long micro- and nano-fibers, 20, 793-796(2008).
29. Kyungsuk Yum, Han Na Cho, Jie Hu and Min-Feng Yu, ACS Nano, Individual nanotube-based needle nanoprobes for electrochemical studies in microenvironment, 1, 440-448(2007).
30. Zhaoyu Wang, Jie Hu, A. P. Suryavanshi, Kyungsuk Yum and Min-Feng Yu, Nano Letters, Voltage generation from individual BaTiO3 nanowires under periodic tensile mechanical load, 7, 2966(2007).
31. Zixiao Pan, Shuyou Li, Zhaoyu Wang, Min-Feng Yu and Vinayak Dravid, Appl. Phys. Lett. Patterning-Controlled Morphology of Spatially and Dimensionally Constrained Oxide Nanostructures, 91, 143105(2007).
32. J Xiao, B Liu, Yonggang Y Huang, J Zuo, K. -C Hwang and Min-Feng Yu, Nanotechnology, Collapse and stability of single- and multi-wall carbon nanotubes, 18, 395703(2007).
33. Zhaoyu Wang, Jie Hu and Min-Feng Yu, Nanotechnology, Axial polarization switching in ferroelectric BaTiO3 nanowire, 18, 235203 (2007).
34. H. Jiang, Min-Feng Yu, J. –Q. Lu, Y. Huang, H. T. Johnson, X.-G. Zhang and P. Ferreira, Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience, Carbon nanotube electronic displacement encoder with sub-nanometer resolution, 4, 574-577(2007).
35. A. P. Suryavanshi and Min-Feng Yu, Nanotechnology, Electrochemical Fountain Pen Nanofabrication (ec-FPN) of Vertically Grown Platinum Nanowires, 18, 105305(2007).
36. Zhaoyu Wang, Jie Hu and Min-Feng Yu, Appl. Phys. Lett. One-dimensional ferroelectric domain formation in single crystalline BaTiO3 nanowire, 89, 263119(2006).
37. Tao Sun, Zixiao Pan, Vinayak Dravid, Zhaoyu Wang, Min-Feng Yu and Jin Wang, Appl. Phys. Lett. Nanopatterning of Multiferroic BiFeO3 Using "Soft" Electron Beam Lithography (Soft-eBL), 89,163117(2006)
38. J. Song, H. Jiang, D.- L. Shi, X.- Q. Feng, Y. Huang, Min- Feng Yu and K.- C. Hwang, International Journal of Mechanical Science Stone-Wales Transformation: Precursor of Fracture in Carbon Nanotubes, 48, 1464-1470(2006).
39. Z. Wang, A. P. Suryavanshi and Min-Feng Yu, Appl. Phys. Lett. Ferroelectric and piezoelectric behaviors of individual single crystalline BaTiO3 nanowire under direct axial electric biasing, 89, 082903(2006).
40. J. Song, Y. Huang, H. Jiang, K. C. Hwang and M. –F. Yu, International Journal of Mechanical Science Deformation and bifurcation analysis of boron-nitride nanotubes, 48, 1197-1207(2006).
41. J. L. Xiao, B. Liu, Y. G. Huang, K. Z. Hwang, M. -F. Yu, Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, Part B Stability and chirality effect on twist formation of collapsed double wall carbon nanotubes, S776-779 (2006).
42. A. P. Suryavanshi and Min-Feng Yu, Appl. Phys. Lett. Probe-based electrochemical fabrication of freestanding Cu nanowire array, 88,083103(2006).
43. N. Shankar, Min-Feng Yu, S. P. Vanka, Nick G. Glumac, Materials Letters Synthesis of Tungsten Oxide (WO3) Nanorods using Carbon Nanotubes as Templates by Hot Filament Chemical Vapor Deposition, 60, 771-774(2006).
44. Kyungsuk Yum and Min-Feng Yu, Nano Lett. Measurement of wetting properties of individual BN nanotubes with Wilhelmy method using a nanotube-based force sensor, 6, 329-333(2006).
45. Kyungsuk Yum, Min-Feng Yu, Phys. Rev. Lett. Surface-mediated liquid transport through molecularly thin liquid films on nanotubes, 95, 186102(2005).
46. Liu B., Y. Huang, H. Jiang, S. Qu, M-F Yu, and K. C. Hwang, Phys. Rev. B. Order-N atomic-scale Finite Element Method in Multiscale Computation, 72,035435(2005).
47. Yu M-F, M. Z. Atashbar and X. L. Chen, IEEE Sensors Mechanical and Electrical Characterization of Ga2O3 nanostructures for sensing applications, 5, 20-25 (2005).
48. Jiang H., M-F Yu, B. Liu and Y. Huang, Phys. Rev. Lett. Intrinsic Energy Loss Mechanisms in a Cantilevered Carbon Nanotube Beam Resonator, 93, 185501 (2004)
49. Bin Liu, Min-Feng Yu, Yonggang Huang, Phys. Rev. B(Rapid) The role of lattice registry on the full collapse and twist of carbon nanotubes, 70, 161402R(2004).
52. Suryavanshi, A. P., M. -F Yu, J. Wen, C. Tang, Y. Bando, Appl. Phys. Lett. Elastic Modulus and Resonance Behavior of Boron Nitride Nanotubes, 84, 2527-2529(2004).
C. J. Otten, O. R. Lourie,
57. Jian Chen, Mark J. Dyer, Min-Feng Yu, J. Am. Chem. Soc. Cyclodextrin-Mediated Soft Cutting of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes, 123(25), 6201-6202(2001).
64. Lu, Xuekun; Yu, Min-Feng; Huang, Hui; Ruoff, Rodney S. Nanotechnology Tailoring graphite with the goal of achieving single sheets. (1999), 10(3), 269-272.
65. Ausman, Kevin D.; Rohrs, Henry W.; Yu, Min-Feng; Ruoff, Rodney S. Nanotechnology Nanostressing and mechanochemistry, 10(3), 258-262(1999).
67. Srivastava, Deepak; Brenner, Donald W.; Schall, J. David; Ausman, Kevin D.; Yu, MinFeng; Ruoff, Rodney S. . J. Phys. Chem. B Predictions of Enhanced Chemical Reactivity at Regions of Local Conformational Strain on Carbon Nanotubes: Kinky Chemistry, 103(21), 4330-4337(1999).
68. Lin, Feng, Sheng, Chi, Ke, Lian, Zhu, Jian-Hong, Gong, Da-Wei, Zhang, Sheng-Kun, Yu, Min-Feng, Fan, Yong-Liang & Wang, Xun, Acta. Phys. Ground state energy level of Si-base quantum wells detected by admittance spectroscopy, 47(7), 1171-1179(1998).
69. Min-Feng Yu, Yu Yang, Wen-Zhong Shen, Hai-Jun Zhu, Da-Wei Gong, Chi Sheng and Xun Wang, Acta. Phys. Intersubband absorption in p-type GexSi1-x/Si multiple quantum wells and its analysis, 46(4), 740-746(1997).
1. “Modular Manipulation System for Manipulating a Sample under Study with a Microscope,” U. S. Patent 6,891,170, May 10, 2005.
2. “Manipulation System for Manipulating a Sample under Study with a Microscope,” U. S. Patent 6,967,335, Nov. 2, 2005.
3. “An Electrochemical Deposition Platform for Nanostructure Fabrication,” U.S. Patent granted.
4. “A Drawing Process for the Continuous Fabrication of Nanofibers Made of a Variety of Materials,” U.S./PCT Patent Application
5. “A Functional Nanoelectrode for Local and Targeted Intracellular Delivery of Chemical and Biomolecular Species,” PCT Patent Application
6. “Mechanical Nanoresonator for Extremely Broadband Resonance,” U.S. Patent Application
7. “Electrochemical Wire Bonding,” U.S. Patent Application.
8. “An Ultra-low Damping Imaging Mode Related to Scanning Probe Microscopy in Liquid,” U.S. Patent Application.
9. “Attojet with Nano-Mechanoporation,” Approved to file for U.S. Patent, 2010.
10. “Method of Making Single Barrel and Multi-barrel Ultramicroelectrode Probes,” Approved to file for U.S. Patent, 2010.
11. “Method of Fabricating High Density Arrays of Metallic Needles on Surfaces,” Approved to file for U.S. Patent, 2010.
12. "Method of Making Electrical Connections with Microscale Electrodes," Approved to file, 2010